State Plumbing Inspector Mike Cornelius In-Office Hours
(8:00 am - 9:30 am)
Plumbing Permits $45.00
(Subject to change)
How to Get a Septic System
1. Apply for a site evaluation
Visit the Knox County Health Department during environmentalist’s office hours and complete a site evaluation application. Please have information such as number of bedrooms, acreage of property and location of the property.
2. Contract a Certified Septic System Installer
A list of certified installers can be provided by the Knox County Health Department. The installer will then use the site evaluation to design and layout the system, including a proposed drawing listing all setbacks and grade shots. A Certified Inspector will issue a permit to the Certified Installer to construct the system. Septic Permits $250.00 (Subject to change.)
3. Final Inspection
After the installation of the septic system is complete, a Certified Inspector from the Knox County Health Department will conduct a final inspection of the system. The inspector will determine if the system has been constructed according to the permit and meets the requirements of the Kentucky Onsite Sewage Disposal Systems Regulations
To prevent pollution and health hazards, the Knox County Health Department:
- Conducts evaluations of potential building sites.
- Issues permits for approved sewage systems.
- Approves onsite sewage disposal systems for public buildings, businesses and private homes.
- Inspects onsite sewage disposal systems.
- Conducts inspections of existing septic systems